After Mr. Dillner’s efforts to deal with severe financial setbacks, about two dozen performers and other creative collaborators like directors and designers resigned in protest. Mr. Cabot said that many of the artists who withdrew would be returning to casts of the productions for next season, the Skylight’s 50th. The productions include “The Marriage of Figaro” and the “Barber of Seville.” Mr. Theisen has also agreed to come back to direct four of the shows he had been scheduled to do.
In the wake of the withdrawals, Mr. Dillner recast some of the roles. Mr. Cabot said several of those new singers would have to be paid even if they were now being replaced by the original performers.
“The mess that the Skylight got itself into is going to have costs associated with it, and this is just some of them,” he said. “It’s the right thing to do.”
Thursday, August 6, 2009
ny times returns to
the new york times' dan wakin briefly revisits the land of figaro and fargo, and provides this bit of clarity on the skylight saga (my emphasis):
posted at 11:58 AM