many of the folks who would normally be out there trumpeting john mccain as a maverick, as an agent of change, are saying "no more."
the obama defectors aren't quite the same: this isn't like a nurse in wisconsin who didn't realize mccain wants to overturn roe v. wade, or a millionaire who flits between homes in new york and london, who is addressed as "lady forester de rothschild" and who thinks obama is an elitist (i insist that story is from the onion.) these are folks you would think might be in mccain's corner.
just to name a few:
- nebraska sen. chuck hagel, a republican.
- elizabeth drew, author of "citizen mccain."
- former los angeles mayor richard riordan, a republican.
- "in the tank for mccain" washington post columnist richard cohen.
- washington post columnist ruth marcus.
- fox news anchor megyn kelly.
- new york times conservative columnist david brooks.
- the wall street journal.
- karl rove.
- the st. petersburg times.